Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Code Red
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Motor Vehicle Excise bills have been mailed for the first Commitment of Calendar 2010, when are they due?

The first commitment of Motor Vehicle Excise Tax bills are due on March 19, 2010

2. When are Trash Collection bills due for Fiscal 2010 [Usage July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2010]?
First half Fiscal Year 2010 Trash Collection Bills will be due and payable on October 29, 2009.  By unanimous vote by the Board of Health on , Trash bills will now be due and payable in two half payments. The 2nd half Bill will be due and payable on March 29, 2010.
3. Who do I make my check out to?

     TOWN OF MONSON --  Mail To: Town Collector, P.O. Box 31, Monson, MA  01057-0031

4. How many Real Estate and Personal Property Tax will I receive yearly?

1st and 2nd quarter Real Estate Tax bills are mailed in the same envelope on or before July 1st of the Fiscal Year. 3rd and 4th quarter Real Estate Tax bills are mailed in the same envelope on or before December 31st of the Fiscal Year. The Fiscal Year runs July 1st  through June 30th in any given year.

5. Why am I unable to divide my Real EstateTax bill into 4 equal payments?

The 1st and 2nd quarter tax payments are estimated based on the prior year tax. The 3rd and 4th quarter tax payments are based on the actual tax after the tax rate has been set by the Department of Revenue.  

6. My mortgage company pays my Real Estate taxes, why did I received a tax bill?

All Real Estate taxpayers are to be mailed a tax bill as required by Massachusetts General Laws on Taxation. This is an official notification to taxpayers of their tax obligation owed to the municipality in which they own property with a detailed description of acreage, land and building assessments.   

7. Do I have to pay my full trash bill if I am out of state for the winter?

You may file for a partial abatement with the Board of Health for the number of months that you are not residing in Monson. An application for abatement is on the reverse side of your Trash bill. Please fill it out and return it with your payment. Additional abatement applications are available at the office of the Town Collector or the office of the Board of Health.

8. Where would I call if my Trash or Recyclables were not picked up?

Call 1-800-551-5584 -- Allied Waste Services. Trash /Recycling Calendar Schedules for the Town of Monson are available at the office of the Town Collector (413-267-4119) or the office of the Monson Board of Health (413-267-4107).

9. I have received an excise bill for a car I no longer own.  Should I just ignore the bill or do I need to pay it?
Contact the Monson Board of Assessors' office at 413-267-4120 to apply for an abatement. Filing of an abatement application does not stay the collection of your excise bill. To avoid interest charges and collection action you must pay the bill by the due date.  

10. I received a demand bill for my motor vehicle, but I never received the original.  Why do I have to pay the interest and penalties if I never received my bill?

Per Massachusetts General Laws on Finance and Taxation [CHAPTER 60, SECTION 2], "failure to receive notice of tax, shall not affect the validity of the excise."  Failure of the taxpayer to receive the bill, has no effect on the process or collection of the excise. The excise tax bill is due within 30 days.

11. Can I put multiple bill payments on one check? I just received my Real Estate and Excise tax bill and I also have a water bill due. Can I write one check for all three payments?

Yes, total all three amounts due and write one check payable to the Town of Monson. Please include bill
copies with payment and write the bill numbers on the memo section of your check. To obtain a receipted bill, enclose a self-addressed envelope and all copies of the bill with your payment. All mail payments will be accepted without interest if received by the due date or earlier.    

12. On my bill I noticed a section SENIOR/DISABLED, does this mean I would be eligible for some type of a rebate or exemption?

No, this area on the tax bill is set aside for anyone wishing to make a donation to the Town of Monson's Seniors/Disabled Fund.

13. How would someone appy for the Town of Monson Scholarship Fund?

Obtain scholarship applications at the Guidance Office at Monson High School, telephone number 413-267-4589 press #3. Any bona fide resident of the Town of Monson who is contemplating post secondary school education is eligible to apply. All contributions to the Monson Scholarship Fund are tax deductible.

14. Where can I pay Parking Fines?

Parking Fines can be paid at the office of the Monson Town Collector during pubic office hours from 9:00 a.m. to 12 Noon and from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Failure to pay outstanding parking violations could result in the loss of your license and registration. DO NOT INGORE A PARKING TICKET.