Historical Commission

The Commonwealth realized that the presence of historic properties in Massachusetts immeasurably enhances the quality of our lives; they help define the very character of our communities. To meet the challenge of preserving this important heritage, the Massachusetts Historical Commission was established by the legislature in 1963 * to identify, evaluate, and protect important historical and archaeological assets of the Commonwealth.
 
*(MGL Ch. 9 Sections 27-32 enabling legislation)
 
At a Special Town Meeting held on December 1, 1973; the people of Monson voted to accept provisions of Chapter 40, Section 8d of the Massachusetts General Laws, which provided for the establishment of a Historical Commission in the Town of Monson.
 
The purpose of the Monson Historical Commission is to protect Monson’s historic resources; be it an area, building, object, burial ground, structure, bridge, park or landscape. The first step in protecting these resources is to do an inventory on them. So far the Monson Historical Commission has identified and inventoried 683 historic resources. In addition it has 87 structures within the confines of the Monson Developmental Center listed as a National Register Multiple Property Submission; 2 properties listed as National Register Individual Property, the Memorial Town Hall and the William Norcross House; 1 property with a Preservation Restriction, the Memorial Town Hall and 1 National Register Historic District which contains 12 structures and runs from Memorial Town Hall to the junction of Main and Cushman Streets.
 
Since 2006 when the Town of Monson voted in the Community Preservation Act at the November Town election the Monson Historical Commission has been involved in all the Historic Preservation projects that have occurred in town. To learn more about the Historic Preservation goals set forth by the Monson Community Preservation Committee please check out their webpage link at the top of the page. To date the following projects have been approved at Town or Special Town Meeting:
 
  • Restoration & Preservation of the Soldiers’ Monument
  • Exterior Painting of the North & East Sides of the First Church of Monson
  • Historical Analysis & Exterior Painting of the Fuller House & Garage
  • Flynt Quarry Lands
  • Monson Bellmen Antique Fire Apparatus Club/Museum Roof
  • Memorial Hall Window & Door Restoration
  • Monson Glendale United Methodist Church Steeple Replacement & Roof & Tower Repair
  • Monson Free Library Restoration
  • Unitarian Universalist Church preservation of front wall of building
  • Hillside Cemetery Wall restoration and repair
  • Norcross Cemetery Fence & Gate repair, restore and preserve and replicate sections beyond repair
  • St. Patrick's Church interior painting and varnishing after paint analysis is done to determine appropriate colors
  • Town Clerk preservation of Original Marriage Intention Vital Records from 1907 – 1997
  • Town Clerk preservation of Original Town Record Books from 1762-1948 and Board of Selectmen minutes from 1982 -1986
  • American Legion exterior restoration and painting after paint analysis is done to determine appropriate colors
  • Memorial Town Hall safety code updates with any remaining monies to go to repair, restore and preserve southwest turret and west facing windows, archway above front double doors, front double doors and storm windows on east and north side of Memorial Hall
  • Memorial Hall to finish safety code updates
  • Hillside Cemetery Wall additional monies to finish wall
  • Methodist Church exterior paint
  • Town Clerk preservation of Original Town Record Books
  • Jacob Thompson House restoration and paint exterior in colors determined through professional paint analysis, install storm windows, re-side garage with period appropriate siding
  • Town Clerk preservation of Original Town Birth Records
  • Unitarian Universalist Church restoration and paint exterior of building
  • Keep Museum repair and preserve field stone foundation, re-point to stop leaking, exterior foundation dug, drainage pipes installed to redirect water away from building
  • Memorial Hall new boiler
  • Monson Free Library original building structure roof to be repaired and re-flashed, tower roof to be water-proofed, water damaged interior plaster to be removed
  • Keep Museum for necessary repairs, restoration and stabilization of building basement to stop water seepage
  • Town Clerk preservation of Original Death Records from 1859 – 1938
  • Restoration and stabilization of approximately 60 tombstones in the historic North Main Street Cemetery
 
 

Board Members

NameTitleTerm

Chairman

2017

Tamara Cabey

2017

Mary Swierad

2017